Monday, July 2, 2007

Unwanted Guest

It is amazing that 8 stories above the ground unwanted guests still find their way to the garden. Today a tomato hornworm stopped by.

I can't believe how well camouflaged they are. Anyway I was so disgusted that I hastily removed not only the worm but the branch he was on as well. I just didn't even think, I knew what he was, as some friends of his had stopped by last year, but not having anything to lift him off with I just acted - rashly acted - of course I should just have removed him, as was suggested by sonomanona at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060730075745AARYa5V - but I just went for it.

Next time - I'll pause and act more thoughtfully - next time I'll look to see if he is infested with parasitic wasp eggs that would have done him in anyway as I found out from
http://www.a-garden-diary.com/pests.htm. We have a lot of wasps and bees up here 8 stories above the streets of soho, so maybe they're all doing their jobs, since after inspecting all the other tomato plants I didn' find anymore guests.

One of the sites I looked at suggested looking at night with a flashlight, perhaps I'll have to try that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My goodness! EWwwww! I hate bugs like that, I luckily haven't had any bad yet.... Crossing my fingers...