Sunday, July 1, 2007

Compost

We have been composting for a couple of years now and it is amazing to see our scraps turn into soil. What is really incredible is all the plants that volunteer to grow of their own volition out of the compost.

At the moment I have transplanted about 15 tomato plants of unknown species as well as and various squash? or melon? plants that took root and grew out of the pots with the various seedlings I grew from seed and purposefully planted.

I can't bear to throw them out so I repot them, or at least the bulk of them. The only problem is that the seeds I purchased are labeled organic, but the volunteer plants could be anything.

Right now I have this pepper plant growing out of the back of the compost bin. I'm waiting to sift the rest of the compost and dismantle the bin to liberate the pepper and repot it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen, Thanks for commenting on my blog! I think you're the first person outside of my friends who has found it. Your garden looks great, and you're growing a lot more than me! Maybe I'll expand next year. Are you using a vermicomposter? I wish I had one. And are you growing cosmos? Mine just aren't taking off, though I'm trying a dwarf variety. Where are you located?
Best,
Laura